The first 12 months
These are the things we would like to see your child doing at these ages! If not, it is worth chatting to us or a health care provider.
- From 6 months we want to see infants
- sitting independently,
- rolling back to front and front to back,
- moving objects from one hand to another.
- From 7 months we want to see infants
- rocking back and forth in all four position,
- starting to move the body backward or forwards on the floor
- engaging with others for play and fun.
- From 9 months we want to see infants
- transitioning independently into different positions: sitting, all fours, lying on tummy
- that they can pull themselves up to stand,
- crawl fluently in all four position.
- From 12 months we want to see infants
- ‘Cruise furniture’ walking while holding onto furniture
- standing independently for 2 seconds
- taking 2-3 steps without support
From 18mths to 4 years
- From 18 months we want to see toddlers
- walking and running,
- walk up steps
- stoop over and recover
- walk backwards,
- kick a ball forward
- From age 3 we want to see children
- throw ball overhand
- balance on each leg for 1-2sec
- From age 4 we want to see children
- balance on each leg for 6-10sec
- heal-to-toe walk
- hop on each leg